- What’s Faster Than a Speeding Bullet and Leaps the Competition in a Single Bound?
By Caitlin Gordon, Senior Product Marketing Manager, EMC Backup Recovery Systems
Although the new Data Domain DD990 may not exactly be a superhero, it certainly has left the competition scrambling for kryptonite. Although a new system alone would be enough of a product launch for some companies, we didn’t stop there. Last week at EMC World, along with the DD990, we also announced new Data Domain software that rather enhances these industry-leading systems.
In case you missed it – here’s a quick summary of these exciting announcements:
- NewData Domain DD990 – this new deduplication storage system is 6x faster and 3x more scalable than its closest competitor! The DD990 is designed for backup and archive data at large enterprise data centers – this guy can meet the needs of the most demanding environments.
- Enhanced Data Domain Data Invulnerability Architecture – the industry’s best defense against data integrity issues just got better. With new inline verification, Data Domain systems can now detect I/O errors faster, minimizing the need to restart backup jobs. After all, what’s the point of backing up if you aren’t 100% confident you can recover?
- Expanded Data Domain Boost software – two years after its release at EMC World in Boston in 2010, DD Boost has more than tripled it’s ecosystem of integrated software and supported workloads. The latest integration was the expansion of DD Boost for Avamar support to include SAP, Sybase, DB2 and Hyper-V. Now Avamar clients can send these as well as Oracle, Microsoft Exchange, SharePoint and SQL and VMware workloads to a Data Domain system. In addition, last week Quest also announced integration of DD Boost with vRanger Pro. Here’s a shot of the current DD Boost ecosystem:
- New Data Domain Retention Lock Compliance edition – you asked for it and it’s finally here! DD Retention Lock Compliance enables you to archive file and email data to a Data Domain system and meet the most stringent compliance requirements including SEC 17a-4, HIPAA and more. Now you can leverage a single Data Domain system for backup data as well as governance and/or compliance archive data.
- New Data Domain Extended Retention software – are you keeping backup tapes around for long-term retention? If you’d rather store that data on your Data Domain system, then you’ll want the new DD Extended Retention software option. DD Extended Retention enables up to 28.5 PB and 65 PB of long-term backup retention on the DD860 and DD990 respectively, which will enable you to finally eliminate tape for good!
Below is the new Data Domain family picture – you’ll notice that the DD Archiver is no longer shown as a stand-alone system. Instead the different capacity ranges enabled by the Data Domain Extended Retention software option are shown for the DD860 and DD990.
In 2011, you voted with your dollars to show us that we’re doing the right things to transform your backup and recovery infrastructure. The most recent IDC study (http://www.emc.com/IDCShowsWhy) confirms this – showing that EMC has over 65% market share in the Purpose Built Backup Appliance (PBBA) market. After last week’s announcements, we’re confident that you’ll help us maintain this lead because the best just got better.