By Michael R. Brown, EMEA Pre-Sales Manager, EMC Backup Recovery Systems Division
As promised in my last blog, this entry is dedicated to beginning to detail some of the benefits of archiving email with EMC SourceOne. In case you missed it, here is the previous entry:
Benefits of archiving email:
1. Reduces storage requirements on your mail server. Mailboxes are typically stored on what we call tier 1 storage — your most expensive disk — whilst the archive is typically on slower, much less expensive disk. How does this work? Well, when EMC SourceOne archives a message, it can also stub or shortcut the body and/or the attachments. It physically removes the attachment and replaces it with a pointer if you will, to where the content resides in the archive. So, that email with a 4.7 MB presentation attached to it suddenly becomes 7k in size! Instead of that 4.7 MB sitting in your mailbox on tier 1 storage, it is sitting in the archive on storage that is 25% or less the cost. And, the user experience remains intact.
2. Reduces overall storage requirements for your email. SourceOne single instances email across the entire enterprise as well as compresses content — up to ~50% in the archive — the amount of overall storage required is dramatically reduced. Take a look at an installation of a customer using SourceOne:
Number of mailboxes: 30,000
- Average 50 emails a day per user
- 25% contain attachments with the average size of an attachment being 400k — weighted average of email – 96k
- Duplication rate: 30% (number of duplicate emails)
- Deletion rate: 10%
Before implementing SourceOne
- ~32 TB of email in their mailboxes per annum — all on most expensive storage
After implementing SourceOne
- Total storage including mail server, SourceOne archive and SourceOne indexes: ~13.6 TB per annum
Only .6 TB now residing on mail servers!
3. Eliminates the need for mailbox quotas. As stated before, EMC SourceOne can shortcut or stub content within the mailbox. This allows organizations to do away with mailbox quotas — as they will never be reached; that is of course they are set at something that is extremely small.
4. PST Elimination. We all know the pain that comes with PSTs. There are lots of them and they are everywhere. Further, there is very little or no control on where the data might travel to. And, in the case of having to actually find information, it is difficult to scan PST files. SourceOne cannot only find your PST files, it can archive and shortcut all the content and eliminate the PST. It does this AND gives the user the experience of still having a PST file.
And there is more! But wait…they are closing the curtain… I have to go! Come back next time where I will finish my list.