Guest Post by Peter Smails, Sr Director, EMC Backup and Recovery Systems
Greetings from Planet Data! It was a monumental opening day here at #EMCWorld! If only I could travel as fast EMC solutions…so much to cover and so little time; here goes:
After an inspiring and visionary keynote from Joe Tucci about transformation and the future of cloud computing, Pat Gelsinger introduced EMC’s new products, and we raised the bar once again for EMC Backup and Recovery solutions with big announcements for Data Domain and Avamar. Headlines included:
- New Data Domain DD990
- 2x faster than our previous model, 6x faster and 3x more scalable than our closest competitor!
- Enhancements to our industry unique Data Integrity Architecture ensures data is stored correctly, stays correct and remains recoverable.
- Industry’s first inline deduplication system for backup AND archive data that supports SEC 17-a4 compliance.
- Expanded DD Boost for faster more efficient database and virtual machine backup.
- New Avamar 6.1
- Expanded business critical application support including SAP, Sybase, and Oracle.
- Multi-streaming delivers 4x faster backup and restores
- Expanded Hyper-V support including full virtual server protection, guest and image level backup, and Hyper-V Image backup and recovery
To learn all about these exciting announcements, click here: http://www.emc.com/about/news/press/2012/20120521-06.htm
After the EMC vision and product launch keynotes everyone headed to the Backup and Recovery Solutions keynote where BJ Jenkins and Stephen Manley – EMC Backup Recovery Systems Division President and Chief Technology Officer – made the rubber meet the road in their ‘Backup Freedom’ keynote as they charted market trends, described how to accelerate your backup transformation with our latest product announcements, and showed us the future of backup and archive (Hint: It doesn’t include tape!).
Before the show floor opened, and through the power of time-travel, I was able to attend the following sessions:
- ‘What’s New in EMC NetWorker?’, ‘What’s New with EMC Avamar’, and ‘What’s New with EMC Data Domain’
- ‘EMC Backup—Strategies for Backup and Recovery of Microsoft Applications’
- ‘EMC Backup: Protecting Unstructured Data on VNX and VNXe’
- ‘EMC Avamar and EMC Data Domain – Integrated Backup Systems Take Application Performance to the Next Level’
- ‘EMC Data Domain and IBM i – Backup and Recovery for VIOS and IBM Power System Environments’ should be considered a requirement.
- ‘EMC SourceOne Fundamentals: Archiving and Information Governance in a “Microsoft 2010” World’
If you missed any of these sessions don’t worry, they will be presented again later in the week. Check the show guide or app for more details.
For those of you who are fans of mainframe, for the first time ever EMC World includes a dedicated room and session track with mainframe presentations all week. Stop by Tuesday and Wednesday to hear the latest product news (Tuesday at 10:00 AM), listen to two customers who have successfully implemented our technology (Wednesday at 3:45 PM), and talk to the developers to see where it is all headed.
The show floor opened Monday afternoon and the EMC Backup Freedom booth (#761) was full of attendees talking technical in the product lounge, listening in to one of the customer presentations in the booth theatre, or entering to win our big prize!
But, maybe the coolest thing in the booth was the EMC SketchPad iPad app that helps build configurations of EMC backup and archive solutions and email them to directly to users. What a great way to get started with your backup transformation. Check it out…
Not to be outdone the Cloud Infrastructure Group also has an awesome booth showcasing EMC solutions for the cloud including Atmos as well as Backup-as-a-Service solutions. If you’re interested in the cloud, and who isn’t, you’ve gotta swing by booth #753.
The night was capped off with a great opening reception, but now I gotta get some rest before another big day tomorrow so be sure to follow #EMCWorld for updates and @EMCBackup for Backup and Recovery news and updates.