- Real Life Solutions for a Real World Architecture
The Protection Storage Architecture is EMC’s North Star for data protection. With loosely integrated modules for protection storage, data source integration and data management services, it provides the road map for the journey to backup transformation. It guides our product development. It anchors our customer discussions around backup transformation. We have Protection Storage Architecture pictures, posters, t-shirts, and refrigerator magnets. I’m considering buying a face tattoo of the architecture… for one of my employees.
Therefore, it’s a great day when we deliver product that fills in the Protection Storage Architecture. That’s why we’re excited to announce new releases of EMC EMC Data Domain, EMC Avamar, and EMC NetWorker. In doing so, we build out all layers of the Protection Storage Architecture.
- Protection Storage: Data Domain is not merely making bigger, faster Purpose Built Backup Appliances; it is defining the new class of storage that will finally meet the industry’s need for scale – Protection Storage. In the last decade, backup performance has fallen so far behind data growth that we need an entirely new approach to scaling.Therefore, we’re proud to announce the new Data Domain systems with 4x performance and 10x capacity of their predecessors. More important, however, is that the systems redefine protection scalability. Instead of simply storing traditional backup images, Data Domain now consolidates storage for all protection data. Key benefits include:
- Versioned Replication – full data center support for incremental forever backups (synthesized into full backups).
- Archive – support for over 20 leading applications, with the ability to store dramatically more objects/files at an even lower cost.
- Disaster Recovery – instantly access VMs off the Data Domain in the event of a disaster, and storage vMotion them to primary storage at your convenience.
- Data Source Integration: We’re not merely “supporting” all backup sources; we integrate deeply into their data and management layers. The data sources have both the intelligence to optimize protection performance and the user interfaces through which their users want to view their protection. This is especially important as we move into Big Data and Cloud. Therefore, we have extended our “application direct” backups to Data Domain to include SAP, SAP HANA and Oracle Exadata. Further, Avamar has extended its industry-unique NAS backup optimizations to Isilon – delivering backup performance that scales with the largest NAS environments. Finally, we have developed a vCenter management plugin that connects VMware’s vSphere Data Protection Advanced(VDPA), which is built on Avamar technology, to our full Avamar and NetWorker solutions. Built on the same technical foundation, customers have a natural migration from VDPA to Avamar or NetWorker.
- Data Management Services: We are changing the way protection storage management, catalog, policy management, and consolidated is done and providing unmatched visibility:
- We simplify protection storage management in two ways. First, all Avamar data center backups (VMs, applications, files) can target a Data Domain. While customers can continue to use their Avamar Data Stores, they no longer need to have two protection storage solutions for Data Center Protection. Additionally, NetWorker can now run Data Domain BOOST-optimized backups over Fibre Channel, simplifying the management of the protection storage environment.
- We enhance the protection storage cataloging with the ability to track storage-layer protection (VMAX snapshots, VNX snapshots, RecoverPoint) and Oracle Flash Recovery Area (FRA) Backups. Therefore, if an Oracle DBA runs an FRA backup, NetWorker can automatically discover, catalog, and enhance the policy around that backup.
- We deliver policy management for protection. Customers have struggled to ensure all their VMs are protected. Now, when a VM is created, it will automatically inherit a baseline backup policy – ensuring that everything is protected, without picking up the phone or sending an email to the backup team!
- We are simplifying the management of backup. In this release, you can see the common VM protection capabilities between Avamar and NetWorker. That is no accident. This is the most concrete technical proof that EMC is bringing together our backup software into a unified offering.
Providing Real Customer Value
How can these solutions help you? How do they shift entire markets? Where do we go from here? Check out this link to watch our special webcast event and this link to get answers to all these questions and more from our team of experts, customers and analysts.
By the way, if you want to sign up for that tattoo of the architecture, let us know – #backuptothefuture, @EMCBackup. We’ll get you some counseling… after we take a picture of the tattoo and post it on Twitter. Join us in our journey to backup transformation with the Protection Storage Architecture.
- CTO Connection
Thoughts from Stephen Manley
Transforming Backup Into a Business Accelerator
Backup has transformed from "low-value, high-cost insurance policy" to "business accelerator." Unfortunately, most organizations struggle with the complexity and cost of a jumble of disconnected backup technologies.